Using PSP 8 & AS 3.04:
I cannot give exact details of how this came to be since I fiddled with it so-o-o much. But, following is a pretty good generalization of what it took;
I first opened PSP & AS 3.04
Using the freehand selection tool (smartedge) to isolate the flower. I then did a "ctl C", "ctl L" to copy it to a new layer. Opened a new image with a contrasting background color, transferred the new layer onto this image and, using the background eraser, I touched it up a bit. Once I was satisfied with that, I found an appropriate background, made 3 copies of it, closed the original and transferred the flower layer onto copy #3. Using the deform tool, I shrank it down quite a bit. Then I merged the layers, Using "ctl C" I copied it, opened AS and pasted it onto the workspace as a new animation. Went back to PSP and deleted the "merged" copy.
Using the same process mentioned above, I made a slightly larger flower, copied and moved it from PSP to AS. This time, when pasting it in AS, I pasted it "after the current frame". I repeated the process for the final flower image. Next, I highlighted frame #2, went to effects > insert image transition, and used these settings ... start with = animation frame. end with = animation frame. transition length = 2.8 sec. frames per second = 2 fps. effect = fade. Then, I highlighted frame #1 and did the same thing.
Then using the slide bar at the bottom of the sequence, I moved all the way back to the first frame. I then proceeded to highlight each frame, and using "alt+enter" changed the display time (in frame properties) to 1 for each frame.
That was it. Sounds pretty simple but it took a I-OF-NO-GO time ... close to 4 hours. I'm rather inexperienced using AS so the most time was spent trying to figure out how it works.
Jim & Debby